There are numerous stores that offer affordable kitchen appliances in the Philippines. This comes in handy if you are planning on throwing a Halloween party this month, especially since food is undoubtedly one of the essentials of a successful gathering. In this regard, prepare your kitchen tools, stove, oven, as well as steamers and make the following food!
Stuffed Bell Peppers Jack-o-Lantern Style
- 6 any colored bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 diced small tomato
- 2 minced gloves garlic
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C (or 350 degrees F). Grease a baking dish that is 8×8 inches in size.
- In a bowl, carefully combine pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili sauce, garlic, tomato, onion, bread cubes, egg, and ground beef altogether. You will be stuffing this inside the bell peppers later on.
- Wash all 6 bell peppers before cutting faces into them to make them look like Jack-O-Lantern. Then, remove the top part of the peppers using a sharp knife and scoop out all the cores and seeds inside. Place the beef stuffing that you made earlier inside the pepper. Put all of them all into the baking dish; arrange them so that they are leaning on one another.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the peppers are all tender and the stuffing is juicy and cooked through.
Pork Dumplings with Chili-Sesame Sauce
- 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- ½ lb. shiitake mushrooms
- 6 large scallions
- ¾ lb. baby bok choy
- 1 medium carrot
- 4 large clove(s) of garlic
- 10 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1 ¼ c. low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tsp. mirin or sweet sherry, divided
- 5 tsp. Asian chili-garlic sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 containers of wonton wrappers
- 2 tbsp. of cornstarch mixed with 1 cup of water
- ¼ c. Chinese black bean sauce
- ¼ c. toasted sesame oil
- Place a skillet on the stove and heat the oil. Once it is hot enough, put the shiitake, scallions, bok choy, and carrots.
- Fry the mentioned ingredients over high heat for at least 5 minutes. Then, add garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Cook them until the sauce evaporates.
- Add some salt. Afterwards, transfer them into a bowl before refrigerating them for 15 minutes.
- Place wax papers in a big baking sheet.
- Get the filling and mix it with your ground pork.
- Brush cornstarch solution (cornstarch and water) to 3 of your wonton wrappers then put some filling on their centers. Fold each wrapper in order to form triangles; make sure that all edges are sealed properly.
- Cut around the centers but make sure to leave a 1/4 –inch rim around the fillings.
- Put the dumplings into the baking sheet with the seams placed upwards.
- Cover them with a damp paper towel.
- Repeat the process and create as many dumplings as you want.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl to create the sauce.
- Boil water on your stove top.
- Put the dumplings in a bamboo steamer that’s lined with oiled wax paper. Then, place the steamer over the pot. Cover them for 6 minutes or until the fillings become firm. You can also use a rice cooker that is equipped with a steamer for this step.
- Submerge the dumplings in 1 cup of the sauce before transferring them in a platter. Serve the remaining sauce along with the dumplings.
Witch’s Brew (Pea & Bacon Chowder)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Crushed garlic clove
- 650 g frozen petit pois
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Grab a saucepan and heat the olive oil.
- Cook onion over medium heat until it turns soft.
- Add garlic and stir. Then, add some petit pois as well as the vegetable stock.
- Let them boil and simmer for at least 10 to 12 minutes. Afterwards, let the mixture cool for a while before putting it in a food processor.
- Start grilling the bacon. Once they become crispy, take them out.
- Use the food processor to smoothen the mixture. Then, pour it back on the pan.
- Put the remaining petit pois. Let the soup boil until the peas turn softer.
- Add some seasoning and butter if you want.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and use them as toppings for the soup.
Try preparing these foods and see which should would be perfect for your Halloween party. If you want, you can just prepare them all! Surely, your guests will enjoy all of them. Happy Halloween!