Effective Use of Kitchen Appliances: Turbo Broiling Made EasyApril 30, 2019
What turbo broiler recipes can you try at home?
- Pinoy-Style Lasagna
- Broiled Liempo
- Lechon Manok
- Roast Beef
When it comes to kitchen appliances in the Philippines, the turbo broiler is a healthy alternative compared to using a microwave. The power of halogen bulbs heats and bakes the food to perfection while rendering out all the unhealthy grease. Using a turbo broiler for your baking needs is significantly faster compared to conventional ovens. Get started on these delicious recipes to discover the brilliance of turbo broiling.
This sweet and creamy take on the classic Italian pasta dish bursts with a rich flavor and aroma. The beef is cooked to perfection with a full-bodied sauce to compliment the meat. The smooth layer of béchamel sauce topped with copious amounts of mozzarella cheese can satisfy the cravings of any food lover.
- 12 sheets of lasagna
- 1 and ½ lbs. of ground beef (you may choose lean ground beef if you prefer a lighter taste)
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 and a ½ cup of spaghetti sauce, preferably Filipino Style
- ½ teaspoon of dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon of dried basil
- 2-3 tablespoons of oil
- ¼ cup of butter
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 and ½ cup of mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the lasagna sheets according to the recommendations.
- To make the lasagna sauce, add oil to the skillet. Sauté the garlic and onion over a medium heat. Once they’re soft, add the ground meat. Cook the meat until it’s brown and add in the chopped tomatoes. Let the mixture simmer for five more minutes.
- Add your spaghetti sauce and let it simmer until the meat is tender. Add the appropriate amount of seasoning and herbs. Take the sauce off the heat.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Once the bubbles begin to form, add the flour and stir in the mixture with a whisk continuously. Wait for it to brown and incorporate the milk and evaporated milk slowly but steadily. The consistency should be creamy and not too thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your turbo broiler to about 200C.
- Grab a 9×13 baking dish and spread the initial layer of béchamel sauce. Add 3 layers of lasagna sheets.
- On top of the lasagna sheets, spread the meat sauce evenly. Add another layer of béchamel. Repeat this process until all components of the dish are used. Spread the final layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in your turbo broiler for 15 minutes. Cool before serving.
Broiled Liempo is less fatty compared to Lechon Kawali. It offers the same crispiness and flavor of Lechon Kawali without the hazards of splattering oil. This dish can be enjoyed with your favorite beverages and lechon sauce.
- 2 lbs. of pork belly
- 5 cups of water
- 1 to 1½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Pour the water into a steamer and let it boil.
- Place the pork belly neatly in the steamer. Cover the steamer and let the pork belly steam for 40 minutes.
- After steaming, remove the pork belly from the steamer and let it cool on a plate.
- After the pork is cooled, rub salt and pepper on the surface of the pork.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the pork belly on the rack and carefully place it inside.
- Broil for 15-17 minutes. Flip the pork and let it continue broiling for 12-15 more minutes or until the texture of
- the surface becomes crispy.
- Chop the pork belly to your preferred serving size. Best enjoyed with friends.
Lechon Manok is a great dish to serve at parties. The use of lemongrass really adds a uniquely classic scent and flavor to this otherwise simple dish. This can be served with lechon sauce and papaya atchara.
- One 1.5 kg whole chicken
- 4 thumbs of crushed ginger
- 7 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 5 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 stalk of lemongrass with the bottom part crushed
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, fully crushed
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 12 pieces of kalamansi
- Oil or butter
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the chicken with soy sauce, pepper, and kalamansi.
- Rub the cavity of the chicken with kalamansi and salt.
- Allow this to marinate overnight.
- After marinating, stuff the cavity with lemon grass, onions, and garlic. Secure the chicken by sewing up the opening and tucking in the neck cavity.
- Baste the chicken with either oil or butter.
- Broil the chicken at 180C for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Serve with lechon sauce and papaya atchara.
Cooking roast beef is relatively straightforward, but the result is still quite flavorful and delicious. The drippings from the beef can be made into gravy. This dish can be served during Noche Buena or any other special occasion.
- 2 kg beef bottom round roast
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 teaspoons of ground black pepper
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons of water
- Preheat the turbo broiler to 200C.
- Make slits on the meat and insert each clove of garlic.
- Spread the olive oil over the meat and rub with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat on a roasting rack and allow to broil for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 120C and continue the cooking process for 2 more hours.
- You can also check if the temperature of the meat reaches 50C internally.
- Let the juice drip, but don’t discard it.
- Remove the meat from the broiler and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice the meat and serve on a warm plate.
- For the gravy, add the drippings to a saucepan.
- Add some red wine to the drippings and allow it to be reduced.
- Add the water and let it boil.
- Add the beef bouillon cube and cook well until it’s fully incorporated before adding the dissolved cornstarch.
- Stir constantly to keep it smooth.
- Serve with the roast beef.
The turbo broiler is an essential kitchen appliance in the Philippines that can make cooking easy and fun. There are so many recipes you can try out using this appliance. This versatile kitchen appliance can replace your ovens and microwaves because of the ease of use, energy savings, and health benefits. Try out these recipes yourself today and taste the difference of turbo broiled food!